Saturday, April 7, 2018

Ask Linda #1735-Ball thought lost discovered in hole

Hi Linda… I have this question, as I could not get an answer for the correct ruling.
We were in a group of three, playing a Par 4. From the tee box the green is only partially visible, as the fairway is hilly going up and then straight down. Next to the green there is a water basin, where the hazard rule applies. As we approached the green, my fellow players hit their respective sand shots, landing both on the green. As my straight tee shot was nowhere to be found on the fairway, we looked around in the rough to no avail. I have lost tee shots before in the water basin and have also hit the green with favorable wind direction. My co-players went on the green while I was trying to see my ball in the water basin. Without any success, I was getting ready to drop a ball to continue with my third shot. Then one of my colleagues started to shout…. “You are not going to believe this,” as he saw a ball in the hole and recognized my mark on it. So I had just made an Albatross. My question is, what is the rule if I had dropped a ball and played it, and afterwards discovered that my tee shot was in the hole? Would it still be an Albatross?? Thanks for explaining…

Lou from Willemstad, Curaçao

Dear Lou,

Yes.

The hole was completed as soon as your original ball was holed [Decision 1-1/3].

Congratulations!

Linda
Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.