Friday, December 4, 2015

Ask Linda #1205-Relief improves condition

Dear Linda,
I've written to you several times in my previous position as golf league secretary. Now that I've relocated, I've managed to get on the golf board again. Will I ever learn? Anyway, you've been so helpful in the past, I hope that you can help me again.

Our situation relates to Immovable Obstruction (paved cart path) Rule 24-2b(i): “the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief.” The question is whether the ball must remain in the same condition. There is a small strip of rough between the cart path and the fairway. So, if the original nearest point of relief is in the rough but the one club-length allowed puts you in the fairway, is that permissible or must you remain in the rough?

Best, 
Lulu from Canton, Georgia

Dear Lulu,

There is no distinction in the rules between fairway and rough (Decision 24-2b/8). If the nearest point of relief from the cart path is in the rough, and the area within one club-length of that point is on the fairway, you are entitled to take your free drop on the fairway.

Linda
Copyright © 2015 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.