Monday, June 22, 2015

Ask Linda #1088-Declare ball unplayable from a distance

Hi Linda,

I play on a course where there are a lot of pot bunkers, some of which I am unable to climb out of because of arthritic knees.

If I know my ball has gone into one of these bunkers, can I declare it unplayable from where I played it and drop another ball, or do I have to retrieve my ball from the bunker and then walk back to where I played it?

Kind regards,
Lulu from Lancashire, England

Dear Lulu,

You may declare the ball unplayable and immediately hit another ball without retrieving your original ball from the pot bunker. This is known as playing under stroke and distance. Don’t forget to add one penalty stroke to your score for the hole [Decision 28/1].

Linda
Copyright © 2015 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.