Monday, February 2, 2015

Ask Linda #990-Casual water interferes with abnormal stroke

Hi Linda,

I had a situation recently where my ball was lying up against the roots of a tree. My playing partner suggested that I play my next stroke left-handed which would have meant that I would be standing in casual water and I could claim relief. Is this permitted?
As a follow on to this, if my ball was unplayable in the roots could I claim the same relief?

Kind Regards,
Lou from Dublin, Ireland

Dear Lou,

A player is entitled to relief from casual water that interferes with an abnormal stroke (e.g., a left-handed stroke for a right-handed player) when the abnormal stroke is reasonable under the circumstances [Rule 24-2b/17].

Let’s apply this statement to your two questions.

In the first, your ball is lying amongst tree roots in a position where it is unplayable for a right-handed stroke but playable for a left-handed stroke. The abnormal, left-handed stroke is reasonable in this situation. When you take your stance for the left-handed stroke, if you now have interference from an abnormal ground condition (such as casual water), or an immovable obstruction (such as a cart path), you are entitled to free relief. After your drop, if you are now able to turn around and hit right-handed, that is perfectly permissible.

In the second question, your ball is unplayable amongst the roots regardless of whether you try to hit it right- or left-handed. In this case you are not entitled to turn around for a left-handed shot and claim free relief from the casual water, since the casual water is not the culprit. The roots are interfering with your ability to hit the ball.

Linda

Copyright © 2015 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.