Saturday, September 6, 2014

Responses to “A note to readers”

Dear readers,

Thank you for the many encouraging responses to my request that readers try to reduce the number of questions. Several of you have recently included apologies for adding to my workload when you sent questions. Please don’t. If you have done research, and cannot find the answer you need, I’m still here to help.

Several of you suggested I remind readers of another source to find answers to questions about the Rules – my blog! I suppose I should have thought of that…

There is a search engine on the blog (http://lindamillergolf.blogspot.com). If you type a few key words in the Search box (located on the right under my photo) and click “Go,” you will find numerous columns that may both answer your question and expand your knowledge of the particular topic.

I am reprinting below one reader’s response that was particularly gratifying and may help you understand how to do a search.

Hi Linda,

Just to say, first of all, a massive thank you. What you do is unique and quite extraordinary. It goes way beyond just being about golf, I feel. There is this strange sense of community through your messages. Golf is a huge part of many people’s lives. It’s a very long game and it’s a very long time to potentially be upset within oneself, emotionally disturbed by some altercation or disagreement with fellow players around rules issues. It thus often leads to heated debates and easily to further upset. Believe me, I’ve witnessed this at first hand. For me personally, as a newcomer to the game, the resource of ‘Linda’ has been a Godsend on several occasions. There is also something really nice about hearing descriptions about other clubs and golfing environments around the world. 

It doesn’t surprise me at all that you’ve become overwhelmed. You provide a free service and it’s easy to end up being taken advantage of. I’m sure I’m as guilty as others in this respect. So, I’m glad to see you addressing this as you have done and I know it’s woken me up to the sort of demands on you. I do want you to know though how much I appreciate your daily missives dropping into my in-box.

There is one more suggestion, though, I might add to your list. People should certainly search your blog properly using key words. Most questions, especially the more common ones, you have probably answered in many different ways on many different occasions. The advantage of searching your blog is that one not only educates oneself about the current question but one also often learns much more as there are answers to related questions and issues. 

For example, just now I typed into the search box: “Abnormal conditions on the green” and my search revealed the following:


This resulted in 6 posts and there are so many questions about the green that almost everything is covered in your answers. In fact, the very first time I used your blog this is what I did and I found the answer to my question.

Lou from North Wales