Thursday, August 21, 2014

Ask Linda #901-Relief for ball in large bushes

Hi Linda,

I continue to very much enjoy your blog posts. Thanks so much. You've clarified many a situation for me.

Yesterday I hit my 2nd shot straight into some large bushes (small trees) to the left of the fairway. I found my ball, some 15 to 20 feet inside the bushes. I was unclear of my options in terms of taking penalty drops. I knew I could have played another ball from the same spot under penalty of stroke and distance, but could I have:
1. taken a 1 shot penalty and played my ball from within 2 club-lengths of where the ball entered the bushes?
2. taken a 1-shot penalty and gone back as far as I liked to drop the ball on a line between where the ball entered the bushes and the flag?

Also, on point 1, can that 2-club relief be in any direction from the point of entry but no nearer the hole?

My opponent suggested that the 2 club-lengths had to start from where the ball was found rather than where it entered the bushes meaning that the ball would still be in the bushes, even after 4 club lengths.

Cheers,
Lou from Wales 

Dear Lou,

Your understanding of the “stroke and distance” relief option for an unplayable ball is correct. Your suggestions that you "drop within two club-lengths of where the ball entered the bushes" or drop on a line between where the ball entered the bushes and the flag" are not.

If you choose to drop behind the bush, you must drop on the line that begins at the hole, passes through where the ball lies under the bush (not where the ball entered the bush), and continues to infinity. I refer to this procedure in my columns as "dropping on the line of sight to the hole."

If you choose the two-club-length relief option for an unplayable ball, you must drop within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lies. You may measure the two club-lengths in any direction, provided you do not go closer to the hole [Rule 28c]. After you drop, if the ball is still unplayable, you may measure another two club-lengths and drop again. Each drop will cost you another penalty stroke.

Clearly, if you will need several drops to escape your predicament, it might be in your best interest to select one of the other two relief options.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.