Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Ask Linda #872-Hit second tee shot, original found


Hi Linda,
A question from Bermuda…

Last weekend I played what is considered by Golf Digest one of the best par three courses in the world…. Turtle Hill. On hole #3, which is over a large pond, I pulled my tee shot into the bank on the far side which is lush with vegetation and I know almost impossible to find balls. Knowing this, I said to my fellow competitors (stroke play) that I was going to hit another as that one is gone! I said nothing about hitting a provisional! I hit my second into the hazard beside the green. When driving around and parking the cart, my fellow competitor climbed up the bank and “found” my ball. I was told by one of the senior players in our group that I “had” to play it since it was found. I had to back track 15 to 20 yards in line with the pin in order to play any kind of a shot, and then hit a palm tree which ended up on the pond necessitating another ball which I finally got onto the green. I ended up with nine strokes on that hole, which kind of put a downer on the rest of the game.

Afterward I was thinking that if I didn’t declare my second ball as a “provisional” then my second ball off the tee was the ball in play regardless if the first ball was found or not! I should have stuck to my guns when I protested about having to play my first found ball off the steep bank in deep vegetation. Even if you say nothing when teeing up a second time, as long as you don’t say you are hitting a provisional, your second ball is automatically the ball in play. Am I right?

Lou from Bermuda

Dear Lou,

You are absolutely correct, Lou, You should have stuck to your guns.

When a player hits a second ball without announcing that he is hitting that ball provisionally, he has put another ball in play under stroke and distance [Rule 27-1]. The second ball is now the ball in play, and the first ball is “lost” under the Rules [Definition of “Lost Ball”]. If the “lost” ball is found, you may not play it.

It might be a good idea to tell your fellow competitors that you are hitting the second ball under stroke and distance. Also state that it is not a provisional ball, and will count as your third stroke on the hole. While such announcements are not required, they would help avoid confusion should the original ball be found. Everything you say to avoid confusion is OK in my book!

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.