Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Ask Linda #855a-Two responses to #855 [Use Club to Align Shot]

Linda, this question reminds me of something that happened to me some time ago. I was playing a match and carried an approach club as well as my putter to my ball lying some 15 feet off the green. I tossed the putter aside and hit the chip shot to the green. My opponent then claimed that my putter constituted an alignment aid and claimed a loss-of-hole penalty. Actually the putter did happen to fall in a position that roughly paralleled my line but it was strictly by chance.
Did I deserve the penalty?
Lou from St. Augustine, Florida 

Dear Lou,
Absolutely not. There is no penalty without intent, unless you actually used the putter as an alignment aid after you realized it could help you out. It doesn't sound like you had much fun during this particular match.
Linda

Linda, you got that right!  The guy was a pure pain in the “you know what.”
Worst part was that I lost the match.
………………………………………………………………………………...

Hi Linda. No joke. In the same vein there is a fellow in our group who smokes cigars religiously. Sometimes on the tee he will place his cigar what looks to be, suspiciously, pointed toward the target. Some guys have made so many jokes about lining up his shot that he doesn't do it any more. My question: Is he violating the rules?
Lou from Florida

Dear Lou,
If he deliberately places the cigar in such a way as to help him align his shot, he is subject to penalty; if he carefully places his cigar in such a way as to not forget it, there is no penalty. It's a matter of intent. If he doesn't want to be accused of using the cigar as an alignment aid, it should be placed somewhere out of sight (or, better yet, left at home!). 
Linda

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.