Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Ask Linda #852-Ball ricochets off club and goes into hole


Linda, I was under the tree for my 2nd shot on a Par 4 hole. My intention was just to punch the ball back to the fairway. For some reason I shanked it and it went straight to the green and then to the hole where a foursome was on the putting green. One guy told me the ball hit a club lying on the ground before it went to the hole, the other guy said it did not hit any equipment just went straight to the hole. My question, Linda, is what is my score?
 Thanks again.
Lou from California

Dear Lou,

Your score on this Par-4 was 2. Congratulations on your most unusual eagle, Lou.

Someone else’s club lying on the green is an outside agency. When (if) your ball ricochets off a club and goes into the hole, you incur no penalty and you must play the ball as it lies [Rules 19-4, 19-1]. This is known as a “rub of the green.”

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.