Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ask Linda #833-Practice stroke moves ball on green


Hi Linda,

Will you please clarify how Rule 18-2a applies to moving a ball on the putting green?   Part of my pre-shot routine on the putting green includes standing in front of the ball, looking down the line of the putt and swinging my putter a couple of times.  I accidentally hit my ball the other day, but simply replaced it and did not take a penalty stroke, because I had not addressed the ball (my putter was not behind the ball).  One of my playing partners corrected me, and said that I should have taken a penalty stroke.  He also said that had I left my marker on the green behind my ball, and accidentally hit the ball during my practice swings that I would not have had to take the penalty.

Will you please help us get this straight?

Thanks very much,
Lulu from California

Dear Lulu,

A practice swing is not a stroke, since there was no intention to hit the ball. When you accidentally move your ball in play with a practice swing (as you did on the putting green), you incur one penalty stroke and you must replace your ball [Decision 18-2/20]. The ruling is the same regardless of whether your marker is still behind the ball.

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.