Monday, April 7, 2014

Ask Linda #823-Unauthorized attendance of flagstick


Hi Linda,

 Here's a question that had two golf professionals and several rules aficionados stumped - although they all said they have had it happen to them.

I am putting from off the green in a stroke play tournament. I have decided that I will leave the flagstick in the hole, because it's a little downhill slider. I have not asked anyone to attend the flagstick (because I want it left in the hole), nor have I told anyone that I want the flagstick left in the hole. As my putt is tracking to the hole and without my asking, one of my competitors rushes to the hole to pull the flagstick before my ball can hit it. The ball rolls directly over the hole and keeps going. If the flagstick had been left in the hole, it would surely have hit the stick. I believe this should be a penalty for the competitor who pulled the flagstick without my permission or request. Someone else thought it was my penalty for not letting my competitors know that I wanted the flagstick left in the hole. 

What's the correct ruling and the authority? Thanks! 
Lulu from Florida 

Dear Lulu,

If all these golf professionals and rules aficionados would open the rulebook, they would find the answer right in Rule 17, “The Flagstick.” Rule 17-2 states quite plainly that an opponent (match play) or fellow competitor (stroke play) who attends or removes the flagstick without the player’s knowledge or permission, while the ball is in motion, is penalize two strokes (loss of hole in match play) if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

Since your ball passed directly over the hole, removing the flagstick clearly influenced the movement of your ball. You are correct in thinking that the fellow competitor who removed the flagstick should incur a penalty.

It is customary to make a request whenever you want the flagstick attended. You are under no obligation to inform your fellow competitors that you do not want the flagstick attended.

However, if you would like to save everyone from a possible argument ending in an unexpected penalty, it would be prudent to remark as you prepare to putt from off the green that you do not want the flagstick attended. Such a courtesy comes under my heading of “preventive umpiring.”

Linda
Copyright © 2014 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.