Monday, April 29, 2013

Ask Linda #648-Putt holding flagstick

Linda, may I enquire please of a situation which has occurred a couple of times.

My ball ends up on edge of hole after a good chip and I have both putter and wedge in hand. In the interest of pace, I approach hole, pull out flag myself, lean it against my shoulder, and tap the ball in one-handed with the wedge in my other hand leaning against the ground and my left leg/hand.

My regular playing partner, reluctant to cough up a sovereign, has tried to penalise me each time for building a stance (he regularly tries to employ rules in a negative fashion against other players). If he is right it might save me strangling him next time.

Lou from Manchester

Dear Lou,

A player is permitted to hold the flagstick in one hand while he putts with the other hand [Decision 17-1/5].

However, if the flagstick is touching the ground, it might appear that you are using the flagstick to help steady yourself. This would constitute using equipment in an unusual manner, and is a violation of Rule 14-3 [Decision 14-3/9]. The penalty is disqualification.

If you are able to hold the flagstick and your wedge above the ground while you tap in your putt with the other hand, your procedure is within the Rules. Otherwise, lay everything down or hand it off to someone else and putt properly.

It is commendable to try to save time, but when you weigh a few seconds against a possible disqualification I trust you will make the right choice.

Linda
Copyright © 2013 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.