Monday, April 15, 2013

Ask Linda #640-Ball from fringe hits removed flagstick


Dear Linda:
With my ball lying on the fringe, I asked for the flag to be removed. I then changed my plan, from hitting a putt to trying a 7-iron chip. I should have stuck to my original plan as I then thinned my shot and hit the flagstick that was lying on the green. Could you please help resolve the penalty situation and then advise whether the ruling would be different if the flagstick had been laid down on the fringe, not on the green?
Thanks again for the way you so-excellently help confused golfers everywhere. 
Lou from England

Dear Lou,

The penalty for hitting a removed flagstick is two strokes (loss of hole in match play). This ruling is the same regardless of whether your ball was on or off the green when you hit it, and is the same regardless of whether the flagstick is placed on or off the green after it is removed from the hole [Rule 17-3].

Linda
Copyright © 2013 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.