Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ask Linda #619-Right- and left-handed handicaps


Hi Linda,

I have an unusual question I hope you can answer. I play left-handed but I can play right-handed also, though not as consistent. If I decided to play right-handed, how would this affect my Handicap? Would I have to establish a new handicap for playing right-handed? Would I then have two different handicaps? I am considering playing both sides to see how well I can play right-handed in competition.
Lou

Dear Lou,

One of the basic premises underlying the USGA Handicap System is that players try to make the best score at every hole in every round [USGA Handicap System, Part I, Section 1-1]. If you do not play as well right-handed, you should consider rounds that you play right-handed as practice rounds and not post those scores. Posting scores from right-handed play that are consistently higher than your left-handed scores would make your handicap unnaturally high, and would not be in line with USGA posting guidelines. Your handicap would not reflect your best play.

Unless or until you play as well right-handed as left-handed, do not post your right-handed scores. You may not have separate handicaps for right- and left-handed play. Each player is entitled to one golf handicap, and that handicap must reflect his best play. You would not want to get a reputation as a sandbagger or a handicap cheater!

Linda
Copyright © 2013 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.