Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ask Linda #607-Lifting conceded putts


Dear readers,
Since this reader asked so many questions, I thought it would be easier for everyone if I were to answer them in the body of his letter.

Hi Linda,

I have a few question regarding marking a ball on the green under certain situations. I would love to get clarity to these issues.

We play better ball match play. I am in a greenside bunker. My opponent is on the fringe in front of the green. I play my bunker shot close to the pin and my opponent’s partner, who is out of the hole, concedes my putt.

1. Do I have to remove my ball before my opponent chips to the green if my conceded ball may assist or interfere with his shot?
Answer:
         For the purposes of this question, I will assume that no one was near the ball and your opponent did not want to waste time waiting for someone to remove the ball. Under this circumstance:
         • If you suspect your ball may assist your opponent, you may remove it. He will have to delay his shot until you do so. If you have stated that you wish to lift your ball, and your opponent hits before you have the chance to lift it, your opponent loses the hole [Decision 2-4/8].
         • If your ball interferes with your opponent’s play, he may ask you to lift it. Since the putt has been conceded, anyone may lift it.

Whenever a putt is conceded, the ball should be lifted. Anyone may lift it (including your opponent or his partner). This should be your customary procedure every time a putt is conceded. There is no good reason to leave a ball on the green that is no longer in play.

2. Can my opponent ask me to leave the ball where it is?
Answer: He may ask, but you are not required to comply. You are entitled to lift your ball as soon as your putt is conceded. You would certainly want to lift a ball that you suspect might assist your opponent.

3. Can I remove my ball before my opponent chips his ball?
Answer: Certainly. You are always entitled to lift a ball when your next stroke has been conceded.

4. Can my opponent chip his ball before I get to my ball to remove it?
Answer: If nothing has been stated, your opponent may chip before you remove your ball. If you have stated that you wish to lift your ball, and your opponent hits before you have the chance to lift it, your opponent loses the hole [Decision 2-4/8].

5. If my putt was not conceded, how would the rules be different in the above situation?
Answer:
         • If you suspect your ball may assist your opponent, you may mark and lift it. He will have to delay his shot until you do so. If you have stated that you wish to lift your ball, and your opponent hits before you have the chance to lift it, your opponent loses the hole [Decision 2-4/8].
         • If your ball interferes with your opponent’s play, he may ask you to lift it. You are required to honor that request. If you fail to comply with that request, you lose the hole [Decision 2/3].

6. Can an opponent demand that I leave the ball and not mark it?
Answer: No. A player is entitled to lift a ball when the next stroke has been conceded. If it has not been conceded, a player is entitled to lift a ball that might assist his opponent’s play [Rule 22-1].

7. Do the Rules vary depending on the type of game it is: Singles match play, singles stroke play, better ball match play, etc.?
Answer: All of my answers above pertain to all forms of match play. The answers also pertain to stroke play, with the following exceptions:
• There are no concessions in stroke play, so any references to a conceded stroke do not apply.
• A competitor is not entitled to request that a fellow competitor leave his ball in place on the green in a position to assist him. If the request is made, and both players agree to leave the ball in such a position, they are both disqualified under Rule 22-1 [Decision 22/6].
• If a fellow competitor requests that you lift a ball that interferes with his play, you may play first instead of lifting your ball [Rule 22-2].
• If your ball is in a position to assist a fellow competitor, you may mark and lift it or play first [Rule 22-1].

8. Rule 22, which I read a few times, does not assist me with answers. Is there also etiquette involved and not just rules?
Answer: These are not etiquette issues. All of your questions are addressed by the Rules and the Decisions on the Rules.

9. Can a committee declare a local rule (in match play or stroke play) that allows a player to demand that I leave the ball (either conceded or not) in place before his next shot?
Answer: Absolutely not. A Committee may not establish a Local Rule that is contrary to a Rule of Golf [Rule 33-8]. Any Local Rule that a Committee decides to invoke must be consistent with the Local Rules that appear in Appendix I of the rulebook. There is a mistaken belief that Local Rules are at the discretion of the Committee, and that they may create any they see fit. This is a misconception. Committees are limited to the Local Rules that are printed in the rulebook. If they feel that conditions are such that a Local Rule that modifies a golf rule is necessary, they must receive permission from the USGA (R&A outside the USA).

Thanks & Regards,
Lou from Israel

Copyright © 2013 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.