Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ask Linda #604-Ball hits foot


Hi Linda,

I think this is a first for your site!

I played in a match today and found my ball in deep rough. My stroke only served to hit the ball straight up in the air and when it came down it came to rest against my left foot. To play it I had to move my left foot.

Neither my opponent –who checked the rule book– nor I were sure of what to do next. We decided it was a one-stroke penalty, much like the penalty in a bunker when the ball rebounds and hits the player.

Were we right?
Lou from Wales 

Dear Lou,

Yes!

Whenever a player hits a ball that subsequently hits himself, the penalty is one stroke and he must play the ball as it lies [Rule 19-2].  This is known, in Rules jargon, as a ball in motion that has been deflected or stopped by the player. The penalty would be the same if the player’s ball were to hit his partner, either of their caddies, or their equipment.

Taking it a step further, if the ball were to land on your equipment, or perhaps in your pocket or the cuff of your pants, you would drop the ball as close as possible to the spot on the ground underneath where it lodged, no closer to the hole.

Your procedure was correct. Good for you!

Linda
Copyright © 2013 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.