Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ask Linda #533-Unattended cart moves ball


Linda,

What would the ruling be for the following…?

I found my ball in the rough about fifteen yards from my motorised trolley. My opponent sent my trolley back to me and it struck my ball before I had a chance to control it: The ball moved back a few feet. I replaced the ball but should I be penalized?  Have checked rules and decisions of Golf but cannot find a ruling for this.

Recap: My opponent directed my trolley (my equipment) back which struck my ball (as distinct from my ball hitting my equipment). Neither of us was in control of the trolley.

Is there a ruling for an opponent moving my ball with my equipment…

Regards,
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

In stroke play, there is no penalty to either player, and the ball must be replaced [Rule 18-4].

In match play, your opponent incurs a one-stroke penalty for causing your ball to move; the ball must be replaced [Rule 18-3b].

While there is a penalty in match play for moving your opponent’s ball, the penalty is not always imposed. If neither player is aware that the unusual violation you describe has a penalty attached, no penalty can be assigned once you hit your tee shot on the next hole. Also, if you are aware that your opponent has violated a Rule, you are permitted to ignore the infraction [Rule 2-5, Note 1]. A problem arises only if both players know of the violation and agree to waive the penalty. Such an agreement results in the disqualification of both players [Rule 1-3].

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.