Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ask Linda #525-Flagstick replaced, putt enters hole


Dear Linda,

I played in a singles competition today where, on the last hole, I was on the green and putting a long putt, and a fellow competitor was tending the flagstick for me.   After I putted, this competitor removed the flagstick from the cup.  When the ball was about one foot or so from the cup, and it was obviously going to go into the cup, this competitor quickly put the flagstick back into the cup. The ball was sunk, never hitting the flagstick.  This all happened so quickly, I had no time to yell at her to remove the stick.  Would the putt still stand??

Thanks for a GREAT column!!!
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

I have no good news for you, dear. There is no such thing as the ball not hitting the flagstick if the flagstick is in the hole. By Definition, a ball is not “holed” until it is at rest in the hole. It is not possible for a ball to be at rest in the hole without touching the flagstick [Decision 17-3/1]. Count your putt plus a two-stroke penalty [Rule 17-3].

Your fellow competitor owes you a mighty big apology.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.