Monday, September 10, 2012

Ask Linda #520-Hazard penalty for touching loose impediment


Linda, I watched a PGA tour player last year at the Heritage Classic play a shot out of a lateral water hazard and on his backswing, the club moved what looked like a dead twig very slightly.  He called a penalty on himself and I think he lost the tournament by one shot.  My question is if my ball lies in a hazard and I can play the shot, how do I avoid a penalty by my club’s touching something, like a blade of grass or a leaf or twig?  I am very confused about what the rules say on this situation.
Thanks,
Lou from Texas

Dear Lou,

You are not permitted to touch or move a loose impediment in a hazard before you make your stroke [Rule 13-4c]. Your backswing is not part of your stroke [Definition of Stroke]. The penalty for moving the dead twig is two strokes (loss of hole in match play).

A dead twig or leaf lying in the hazard is a loose impediment. However, a blade of grass that is growing in the hazard is not a loose impediment. Neither is a bush or a tree. If your club contacts a living, growing thing in a hazard, even on the backswing, there is no penalty [Rule 13-4, Note]. However, if you take a practice swing and flatten a blade of grass, thereby improving the area of your intended swing, you cannot escape penalty.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.