Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ask Linda #518.5-Multiple mistakes


Hi Linda, I was playing in an Open tournament. On the 15th hole I hooked my drive and thought it might be out of bounds so I hit a provisional. I saw a ball near the out of bounds line but still in. I picked up the provisional, and hit the ball. I got down to the next shot and discovered I had hit the wrong ball – my original ball must have been out of bounds. I was playing with two professionals. Both thought I needed to go back to the tee with 4 penalty strokes. I went back to the tee, hit the ball and was then assessed another stroke for playing from the wrong spot. I was told I should have played from where my provisional ball was. Obviously this whole thing was pretty confusing. Since I had picked up the provisional, could I have dropped the ball back in that spot without penalty? What was the correct procedure under the rules?

Thanks,
Lou

Dear Lou,

Believe it or not, there is a Decision that deals with a similar scenario [Decision 27-2b/9]. Here is the ruling:

• Your original ball is stroke #1.
• Since the original is either lost or out of bounds, your provisional is your actual ball in play. It was played under stroke and distance, so the stroke you played when you hit the provisional is your third stroke on the hole.
• Your penalty for hitting a wrong ball is two strokes. Your total is now up to five strokes.
• When you lifted your provisional ball, you lifted your ball in play. The penalty for that is one stroke. You are required to replace that provisional ball and continue your play of the hole with it. When you make your second stroke with the provisional, that will be your seventh stroke on the hole.

This is where the Decision ends. However, it is not the end of your travails. You did not replace your provisional ball. Instead, you returned to the tee to hit your next shot. Whenever you hit another ball from where you played your previous shot, you are playing a ball under stroke and distance. Add a one-stroke penalty for playing another ball under stroke and distance. Your second shot from the tee was your eighth stroke on the hole [Decision 27-2b/10].

Whoever told you that you should have continued play with your provisional was correct. Whoever sent you back to the tee was incorrect. Whoever told you that your second tee shot from the tee was played from a wrong place was incorrect; when you returned to the tee you were playing under stroke and distance.

I’m sure you understand how much trouble you caused yourself by failing to identify the ball you found near the out-of-bounds stakes before you hit it. Had you taken a moment to identify that ball, you would have realized it wasn’t yours and continued play of the hole with your provisional. Your second shot with the provisional would have been your fourth shot on the hole. Instead, you were on the tee hitting your eighth shot.

This is a complicated ruling, and no one can fault you or your fellow competitors for being confused. It would have been best to consult a rules official before proceeding, assuming one was available.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.