Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ask Linda #498-Provisional ball hit multiple times


Linda,
Last week I was playing with a foursome. We came to a long par 4. I hit my drive long, but wrong toward a wooded area with out of bounds. I declared a provisional ball and hit it short. When I reached the provisional ball, it was well short of where my original ball had been hit. I advised my opponents that I intended to hit the provisional again but reserving my right to play my original ball if it was found. They said I could not do that, that once I hit the provisional a second time it was in play and I abandoned my original ball. I disagreed and hit my provisional. I then moved forward and found my original ball just within bounds. I proposed to hit it as my second stroke and did but my foursome voted 3 to 1 that I had played a wrong ball. When I got back to my rulebook, I cited " Rule 27-2 (b) which reads:
" The player may play a provisional ball until he reaches the place where the original ball is likely to be. If he plays a stroke with the provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place, the original ball is deemed to be lost and the provisional ball becomes the ball in play...." 
I argued that I may hit the provisional ball as many times as I want until I reach the site of the original ball. At that point, if I find the original ball, I hit it as my second shot. If I don't find it, the provisional ball becomes the one in play with as many strokes as it took me to get there.
My group still disagrees and says once I hit the provisional ball a second time, I had elected it. Can you settle the dispute?
Lou

Dear Lou,

The Rules of Golf are not decided by a majority vote. Golf has a rulebook that governs play, and all players must abide by those rules.

Your understanding of the rule regarding provisional balls is correct, Lou. You will continue hitting your provisional ball until you reach the area where your original is likely to be. If you drive your original ball 200 yards, you will hit your provisional as many times as necessary to advance 200 yards. That might turn out to be one drive that goes 250 yards; or a topped drive, a whiff, and three flubbed iron shots. When your feet have traveled 200 yards, you now have five minutes to search for your original ball. If you find it, you must abandon the provisional and continue with the original. You will now be hitting your second shot. None of the strokes with the provisional count if you find your original ball.

You had your rulebook with you, Lou, and you showed your opponents the pertinent rule. I’m surprised you read the rule to them and they still insisted that you were wrong. Did you ask them to show you where it states that a player may only hit a provisional ball one time? They could have stood there looking until the cows came home and still not found any evidence in the rulebook to back their mistaken assertion.


The next time you play with golfers who are ignorant of the rules and unwilling to change their minds in the face of clear evidence, you should play by the rules and confirm the matter with the pro at the end of your round. 

I am puzzled why so many golfers are confused by the rule regarding provisional balls. I put “provisional ball” into the SEARCH box on my blog, and found that I have answered 32 questions about this topic! If you would like more evidence to present to your opponents, skim through the 32 questions and pull out the pertinent information.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.