Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ask Linda #447-Leave ball unmarked on green

Hi Linda

I've been trying to get a definitive answer to a question re: marking of ball on the green. Specifically as per the situation described here. I've tried reading the official rules and they are specific about stroke play but don't seem to cover match play.

I am playing in a 4-ball match. There are 3 balls on the green, a couple of them close to the hole. One of my opponents, about to chip on from 10 metres off the green tells us he wants those balls left there as they are acting as a back stop. I'm fairly confident I am entitled to mark and remove my ball if I think it's going to assist him. I have a friend I play with who is adamant he can have the balls left. I have a feeling that rule used to apply years ago, specifically in match play, and particularly if it was your partner’s ball that was assisting.

Your help clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.
Lou from Great Barrier Island, Auckland

Dear Lou,

Any time a player feels that a ball will assist another player, he is entitled to lift the ball if it is his own, or have it lifted if it belongs to another player. This is the essence of Rule 22-1, and applies to both match play and stroke play.

There is a difference in stroke play – if you are asked to lift your ball, you may choose to play first instead. That option is not available in match play because you must observe the correct order of play.

When your partner’s ball is in a position on the green that might assist you in your play, he is not required to lift it unless your opponents ask that he do so. If he were to refuse that request, he would be disqualified from the hole [Decision 30-3f/11].

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.