Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ask Linda #433a-Embedded ball relief on PGA Hard Card

Hi Linda,

My understanding is that the PGA tour applies the embedded ball local rule for every tournament.

Isn't this a violation of the rules of golf, as unusual conditions do not exist every week?

Cordially,
Lou

Dear Lou,

The intent of the Local Rules is to provide relief for abnormal conditions. However, the Committee in charge of the competition has the option to adopt any or all of the Local Rules in Appendix I whenever they see fit. And if they judge that certain Local Rules are appropriate for all their tournaments, they are entitled to write them on their Hard Card (a list of Local Rules in effect at all of their tournaments).

I wasn't aware that the Local Rule for embedded balls is on the PGA Hard Card, but it doesn't surprise me. It saves the Committee the time and effort to inspect every inch of the rough for low spots that might remain soggy even in dry conditions.

The Local Rule for embedded balls through the green is printed on the Hard Card for the local tournaments that I run in southern New Jersey for the very reason I just mentioned.

What puzzles me is why this is not a standard rule in the Rules of Golf. Having to hit out of the rough is difficult enough without having to add a one-stroke penalty to your score to extricate an embedded ball. And I suspect that a good number of golfers are not aware that relief for an embedded ball is only available in closely mown areas.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.