Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ask Linda #422-Must I use the same ball?

Dear Linda,

If I hit my ball into a hazard and can not find it, must I play my next shot with exactly the same type of ball?
Thank you
Lou

Dear Lou,

In most of the ordinary golf competitions you will encounter, you may use any brand or type of ball and may change to another brand or type whenever you are required or permitted to substitute another ball under the Rules.

There may come a time when you compete in a tournament where it is a Condition of the Competition that players may not change the brand and type of ball. This is known as the One-Ball Rule, and it is not recommended for use except in high-level competitions.

Regardless of whether the balls you carry are the same or a variety, don’t forget to draw your distinctive mark on every ball in your bag.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.