Friday, December 30, 2011

Ask Linda #393-When one ball strikes another


Dear Linda,

Two weeks ago, our foursome had an unusual thing happen and none of us knew quite what to do.  In the fairway, I took my second stroke and my ball hit someone else’s ball that was in the fairway, resulting in the other person’s ball landing in the rough and mine in the fairway.  Do I get penalized and do we just leave the balls where they landed or does the other person move hers back where it was?

Sincerely,
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

There is no penalty to anyone. The player whose ball struck the other player’s ball will play her own ball as it lies. The player whose ball was moved must replace it [Rule 18-5].

I’m sure you will agree that if would be unfair for a player to have to hit from the rough when her original shot landed in the fairway

Linda 
Copyright © 2011 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.