Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ask Linda #378-Ball in drainpipe


Linda, my ball was hit just off the fairway by about a foot into a short-cut rough. I watched the ball roll and then disappear into what appeared to be low ground. It was my second shot on a par 5. When I walked over to my ball I discovered the low ground was an unmarked drain hole that ran off into a stream just left of the rough about 6-7 feet. Would that be considered a lost ball, would I take a drop or go back and re-hit? Would there be a penalty for rolling into an unmarked hazard?

Thanks for your help.
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

I am not certain, from your narrative, whether the drainpipe is through the green or in the water hazard. If it is through the green, then your ball is lost in an immovable obstruction. You will drop a ball within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, no closer to the hole [Rule 24-3b(i)]. There is no penalty.

If the drainpipe is in the water hazard, then there is no free relief. You must proceed under any of the relief options in Rule 26-1 for a ball in a water hazard and add one penalty stroke to your score [Decision 24-3b/1].

Linda 
Copyright © 2011 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.