Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ask Linda #369–Extra clubs in bunker

Dear Linda,

I have read your previous columns, which said you could take your whole bag into the bunker if you wanted. I have a question:  I took two clubs into the bunker, as I was not sure how high I would have to hit the ball to get it out. I dropped one club in the sand after I got into the bunker and used my second club to get out. I did not touch the sand with my club in my hand; I just dropped it. Was I wrong? And, where should you put your bag if you take it into the bunker?? 
Thanks,
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

You may place the extra club, or the whole bag, in the sand. There is nothing wrong with dropping your club in the bunker, but there is no reason to do so, since you are permitted to place it.

Placing an object in the sand does not constitute testing the condition of the hazard, unless you do something silly like push the sand around or jam it into the sand [Decision 13-4/0.5].

You might want to read Decision 13-4/0.5, which gives examples of what would constitute testing the condition of the hazard, and what would not.

Linda
Copyright © 2011 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.