Monday, June 20, 2011

Ask Linda #314-One ball on top of another


Lulu, what is the ruling if you putt your ball (stroke play) on top of another ball already holed?

I think you have already addressed this and you said it was not a penalty but rather an etiquette matter.

Please let me know.
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

A ball is holed when it is at rest in the hole and no part of the ball is above the level of the lip.

The answer to your question is this: Your ball is holed, and there is no penalty to you for touching the other ball or to the person who left her ball in the hole.

It is customary to remove your ball from the hole before another player putts. Some players are superstitious about putting when another ball is still in the hole. Others are concerned that their ball might bounce off another ball in the hole and pop out. However, if both players are agreeable, then I’m all in favor of anything that speeds up the pace of play.

I have a good friend who is uncomfortable putting if there is a ball in the hole. When I hole my ball first, I always remove it before he putts. I, on the other hand, have no concern if he leaves his ball in the hole when I am second to putt. I always tell him to leave it there and I retrieve the two balls after I hole my ball.

The proper etiquette would be to always remove your ball after it is holed unless you are given permission to leave it in the hole.

Linda 
Copyright © 2011 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.