Monday, July 27, 2009

Ask Linda #137-Barefoot golf

Linda,

Hi, I’m from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and this is a weird question, but I was wondering if I had to wear shoes while playing golf? I find it easier to balance with bare feet rather than have my shoes on. I promise that I’m not crazy, I just don't like shoes. I would rather wear flip flops.

Thanks,

Lulu

Dear Lulu,

You are in good company, Lulu. Sam Snead grew up in Virginia playing golf barefoot.

Snead used to work on footwork by practicing barefoot in his backyard. He did play two holes barefoot before a gallery one time to preserve the reputation of his manager, who had bragged that Sam could play sans shoes. However, he was wearing shoes when he won 82 PGA events and 70 worldwide events, including seven majors (three Masters, three PGA Championships, and one British Open).

I found an instructional video on YouTube where Snead recommends practicing barefoot to help correct an overswing. Apparently it prevents you from taking too big a backswing and swinging too hard, because if you do you will break your toes. Here is the link, if you want to watch and listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJsZcGatEo

There is no requirement in the Rules of Golf that players wear shoes. Neither are there regulations about collared shirts and shorts of a specific length. Dress code is the province of each individual golf course. If you want to air out your tootsies, you should confirm with each course you visit whether they require golfers to wear shoes. I have never seen a sign at a golf course such as you occasionally encounter at restaurants –“No shirt, nor shoes, no service”– but I think it best that you clear up this matter before you arrive.

All of this being said, my personal feeling is that you should wear shoes to play golf. There can be physical dangers to going shoeless –broken toes, stepping on a bee, sharp stones in hazards, snakes, and pesticide on the grass come to mind. And the right shoes provide the stability you need for a good swing.

If sturdy golf shoes are cramping your style (and your toes), try to find a pair of lightweight golf shoes, sneakers, or sandals. And there’s nothing wrong with an occasional round in an old beat-up pair of your most comfortable sneaks. Save your barefootin’ for the practice area, and protect those little piggies on the course.

Linda

Copyright © 2009 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.