Monday, April 13, 2009

Ask Linda #106-How many to pair?

Linda,
I enjoy reading your emails.
I have a question about pace of play.
Our golf league plays in threesomes (and has for many years).
When there are two groups with only 2 players there, would it be better to go off as 2 twosomes, or a foursome?
Some think pace of play of a foursome is better than 2 twosomes as you can't play any faster than the group ahead of you.
But others think that the threesome or twosome behind the foursome is always waiting so they feel it slows play for everyone behind the foursome.
I would appreciate your comments on this.
Lulu

P.S. Our over 60 member league could switch to foursomes, but many gals feel that would really slow play.
Do you think it would increase the length of time it would take to play if everyone went off in foursomes instead of threesomes?

Dear Lulu,

There is no hard and fast rule to answer your question, Lulu, but I will be happy to give you my opinion based on my experiences both as a golfer and as a tournament director.

I am a fan of playing in groups of three. I think it provides for the optimum pace of play. Kudos to your golf course for allowing your sizable group to do so.

Put your small groups out in front. In other words, if you have 58 players, you will start the procession with two groups of two players each, followed by 18 groups of three players.

If you don’t know in advance exactly how many people are playing, then send everyone off in groups of three and place one or two groups of four at the end.

I agree with the gals that believe that switching to playing in groups of four would slow play, and I’m happy to see that your group is concerned about pace of play. Golf is a lot more fun for everyone when the pace is brisk.

For a list of pace of play suggestions, your group might enjoy reading my blog posting on Monday, April 14, 2008: Rules #5-Pace of Play Suggestions.

Linda

Copyright © 2009 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.