Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ask Linda #27 - ball moves before hit

Hi Linda,
I was just about to putt my ball when it moved a little bit. I know I’m supposed to move it back. Do I also have to take a penalty? I didn’t touch the ball!
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

How nice to hear from you! It’s been so long that I thought perhaps you had given up golf and taken up needlepoint!

Let’s look at your question. I’m going to assume that when you say you were about to putt that you had addressed the ball. Addressing the ball means you have taken your stance and grounded your club (except in a hazard, where you have addressed the ball as soon as you take your stance, since you are not permitted to ground your club in a hazard).

Once you have taken your stance and grounded your club, if the ball moves you are deemed responsible for the movement of the ball. You must replace the ball and assess yourself a one-stroke penalty. The rule for this is 18-2b.

Linda

Copyright © 2008 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.