Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ask Linda #24 - repairing a damaged hole

Dear Linda,
I was lining up my putt when I noticed that there was some damage around the hole. I think someone in a prior group may have accidentally raised a chunk of turf at the edge of the hole, perhaps caused by removing a ball with a putter. I patted the turf back down before I putted. My partner told me after the round I am not allowed to do that. Was she right?
Lulu

Hi Lulu,

Your partner was absolutely correct, dear. The hole is considered to be on your line of putt, and you are not allowed to repair anything on that line except for ball marks and old hole plugs. The penalty for doing so is two strokes in stroke play or loss of hole in match play (Rule 16-1a).

Let me elaborate just a bit. If the damage to the hole is clearly identifiable as a ball mark, you may repair it. If it is not obviously a ball mark, then there are two scenarios:

1. If the damage has not changed the dimensions of the hole, you may not repair it and you will incur the two-stroke/loss of hole penalty if you do.

2. If the dimensions of the hole have been changed, and no one authorized to repair such damage is available to do so, you may repair the damage yourself without penalty.

Now, suppose you notice a ragged edge on the hole AFTER you putt but BEFORE your opponent putts. If you now smooth out the edge of the hole as a courtesy to your opponent that is perfectly fine (and considerate). If you are playing with a partner, then I would advise you not to fix anything until after both you and your partner have completed the hole. If you repair the damage before your partner putts, then she would incur the two-stroke/loss of hole penalty (and she might be inclined to express her displeasure with your faux pas).

Linda

Copyright © 2008 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.